Primary Genre(s): Children’s Picture Book
Published: 2 August 2020
Page count: 24
My Format: ebook I own
Do I Recommend: Yes
Commission Link: Buy Henry’s New Glasses
My rating: ★★★★★
Henry’s New Glasses is the heartwarming story of a boy who is anxious about needing to wear glasses and worried about what his friends will think. Thanks to his dad’s reassurance and the acceptance of his friends, Henry discovers that change can be a good thing and that true friends will always support you for who you are.
I just recently got new glasses myself so this book instantly appealed to me. Here are my pros and cons for Henry’s New Glasses:
- I loved that this book was about a boy and his Dad. I rarely see that combination in children’s books and it was refreshing.
- Most kids do not like going to the doctor. I don’t like going to the doctor! But the eye doctor is one I don’t mind one bit and this book makes it clear that a visit to the eye doctor can actually be kind of fun!
- Illustrations within the book are realistic and depict some of the equipment an eye doctor will use during the examination.
- The book does a good job of addressing the fear some children have when they find out they have to wear glasses and it reinforces the benefit of clear vision.
- The book is a bit wordy. I have this in the con section solely because I fear some younger children may lose interest.
I think this would a perfect book for a child that is about to visit an eye doctor for the first time. I definitely think it will alleviate any fears they may have about what will happen during the examination and I think the story will get kids excited about the possibility of picking out some cool specs!
If you would like to read this book and form your own opinion, please consider purchasing through this link: Buy Henry’s New Glasses. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Thanks!
Click here for a description of my rating scale.
(image from Goodreads)