Primary Genre(s): Legal Thriller, Crime, Mystery
Published: 13 Aug 2019 by Flatiron Books
Page count: 336
My Format: eARC from NetGalley
Would I recommend it: Absolutely
Commission Link: Buy on Amazon
My rating: ★★★★★
Synopsis from Goodreads
THE SERIAL KILLER ISN’T ON TRIAL. HE’S ON THE JURY…
They were Hollywood’s hottest power couple. They had the world at their feet. Now one of them is dead and Hollywood star Robert Solomon is charged with the brutal murder of his beautiful wife. This is the celebrity murder trial of the century and the defense want one man on their team: con artist turned lawyer Eddie Flynn.
All the evidence points to Robert’s guilt, but as the trial begins a series of sinister incidents in the court room start to raise doubts in Eddie’s mind. What if there’s more than one actor in the courtroom? What if the killer isn’t on trial? What if the killer is on the jury?
I don’t typically read legal thrillers or courtroom dramas; however, if there are other books out there like this one I may have to amend that immediately because this book was awesome! Here are my pros and cons for TH1RT3EN:
- This is the fourth book in the Eddie Flynn series by this author and I didn’t know that when I started reading it. That said, this could easily be a standalone. I don’t feel like I was missing anything in the story at all. This book definitely held its own.
- Page-turner alert!!! This was a hard book to put down. Very hard! This book grabs hold of you and doesn’t let go! It was an awesome ride!
- This is a great thriller with an intellectual plot. The situations were very creative and the courtroom drama was awesome! There were a few convenient circumstances that required a little bit of a suspension of belief, but the story was so awesome that I didn’t even mind it!
- The dialogue was realistic and easy to read.
- Kane was creepy and smart and just an awesome character. He gave me some serious heebie-jeebies!
- This was written in alternate POVs between Kane and the lawyer Flynn. The back and forth viewpoints were well-written and smoothly done.
- I loved the breakdown of the evidence and the presentation of different scenarios to explain what could have happened during the murder trial.
- Awesome twist at the end!!!
- Definitely one of my top 5 reads so far this year. It was simply that good.
- The book is full of violence and murder. This isn’t a con per se – this is a legal thriller about a serial killer after all! I included it here more as a warning for anyone that doesn’t like to read things like that since the violence is somewhat graphic.
I absolutely did not want to stop reading this book. I raced through it and now that I’ve read it I wish it wasn’t over. This is easily one of my favorite reads this year and I am going to read Cavanagh’s other books as soon as I can. I would recommend this book to anyone that loves a great thriller and a fantastic courtroom drama!
Does anyone have any recommendations for other fantastic legal thrillers for me to try? I enjoyed this book so much that I’d like to read more of the genre. Thanks!
Thank you NetGalley and Flatiron Books for a free eARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
If you would like to read this book and form your own opinion, please consider purchasing through this link: Buy on Amazon. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Thanks!
Click here for a description of my rating scale.