Primary Genre(s): Fiction, Thriller, Mystery
Published: 11 Jun 2019 by Minotaur Books
Page count: 304
My Format: Audiobook via Overdrive
Ending: Good, Satisfying
Would I recommend it: Yes
Commission Link: Buy on Amazon
My rating: ★★★★☆
Synopsis from Goodreads
THE WIFE: For Alice, life has never been better. With her second husband, she has a successful business, two children, and a beautiful house.
HER HUSBAND: Alice knows that life could have been different if her first husband had lived, but Nathan’s arrival into her life gave her back the happiness she craved.
HER BEST FRIEND: Through the ups and downs of life, from celebratory nights out to comforting each other through loss, Alice knows that with her best friend Beth by her side, they can survive anything together. So when Nathan starts acting strangely, Alice turns to Beth for help. But soon, Alice begins to wonder whether her trust has been misplaced…
The first mistake could be her last.
FINALLY! A mystery/thriller I didn’t dislike! YEAH! It is going to be a bit hard to review though because I don’t want to give anything away. Please forgive the vagueness. Here are my pros and cons:
- Good pacing.
- Creative storytelling – essentially a story within a story and it worked well in my opinion.
- I honestly didn’t see the ending coming… and boy did I appreciate that! I’ve read such dull thrillers lately that I really enjoyed finally reading one that was written well enough that I didn’t get the “twist” until I read it.
- Alice was a strong character and I liked her a lot.
- I thought it was a great exploration of how suspicion about a significant other’s actions can cloud everything you think about them going forward – whether the suspicion is warranted or not. What an impactful thing distrust and betrayal can be!
- The audiobook was very well done.
- There were a few plot points that seemed just a tad strange to me. Unfortunately I can’t be specific or I might give away the ending. Just suffice it to say there were a few things that required suspension of belief to make the ending work.
This is a good story, a decent thriller, and a quick read. I definitely recommend it and I am so happy to finally read a thriller that I liked after my recent rash of duds.
If you would like to read this book and form your own opinion, please consider purchasing through this link: Buy on Amazon. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Thanks!
Click here for a description of my rating scale.